What's so "good" about Good Friday? Isn't it supposed to be the anniversary of the brutal death of our Lord, Jesus Christ? "Good" really isn't the word I would use to describe it.
And yet as I think about it, without that vicious, cruel killing, I myself would be doomed to die. Die. Eternal Damnation. And why not? I deserve it.
Tonight, I saw the depiction of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus in The Promise. I was struck by not only the many miracles Jesus performed as a man on this Earth: The humble healing of the leper, the touching resurrection of the young girl, but also, naturally, by the vile act of Jesus' killing itself.
As the Roman soldiers prepared Jesus for his raising onto the cross, I allowed my mind to wander to the actual crucifixion. Their loud hammer strikes pounded long, thick, cold nails into the wrists of my Savior. I sat in my seat, numb, as I pictured myself as the one holding that hammer. Every sin I had ever committed was another loud beating. Every selfish and judgmental thought was responsible for putting Jesus through this. It was enough to bring me to tears. My body shook with remorse and regret. What kind of Love is that for us? It's a love that, to me, is unfathomable....
I guess, now that I think about it, "Good" Friday is kind of an understatement...isn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment