Wednesday, June 11, 2008

So Big!

This morning, as I was driving to the Doctor's office for Mathias' 9 month check-up, I came to the realization that he really isn't a baby anymore. At least he doesn't seem like one to me. He has a very vivid personality, which makes him seem older than he is. I sometimes feel like he really understands what we're trying to communicate to him, and he's really good at communicating back with us. Physically he's making huge strides as well. He learned to crawl in one day! At least, that's what it felt like.


It happened on May 31st, when I wasn't watching. You see, that was the day Chelsea got married, and I was with her all day, while Malachi and Mathias were at my parents'. The previous day was like any other day. Mathias would lie on his belly and pull his knees up underneath himself. He would sit there for several minutes and just rock back and forth. Then, when he felt comfortable with that, he would scoot his knees forward, ever. So. Slightly, alternating knees until he fell flat onto his tummy again, exhausted from all of the effort.


Naively, I thought that things would go on like this for at least a few days, and maybe, if I was lucky, a few weeks...? Well I think Mathias knew what I was thinking, because remember, he can understand what we're communicating to him, even the non-verbals. So on that 31st day of May, 2008, Mathias decided he'd show me! He practiced all day long, unbeknownst to those around him, nor to his parents and sister, who had so selfishly left him for the day. And lo and behold, come Sunday morning, he was not only all-out-crawling, but even scooting back into a seated position when he needed to rest!

I'll tell ya, this Momma is in dire need of some baby-proofing...GOTTA GO!

No comments: