Sunday, December 03, 2006

Brotherly Love?






r: "You shot your deer?"
s: "Yea, it's an 11 point buck! I wounded it and Michael finished it."
r: "Great!"

I listened as Seth explained in detail how he was about to call it a night when he heard the rustling in the brush. I could hear the excitement in his voice as he romped through the slew (sp?) toward his brother and their latest victim. Our conversation ended soon after, for Seth wanted to get the deer gutted before the sun set.

My phone rang again:
s: "It makes me sooo mad! Michael's not even admitting that the deer is mine! The one who gets first blood gets the deer, right?"
r: "I honestly don't know, but he doesn't think you hit it?"
s: "NO! And it practically laid itself down in front of him. It was obviously wounded!"
r: "Huh."
s: "Well, can you meet me at Chris and Syna's? We're going to skin the deer there. And bring the camera..."
r: "Sure."

I arrived at our friends' house a few minutes earlier than the brothers and explained the situation to everyone (Aaron and Jeannie were also there, as well as Paul H.) and how Seth felt about it. Everyone just laughed at the sibling rivalry.

Finally, the guys arrived. As Syna (the wonderful hostess that she is ;)) bustled about the kitchen, serving drinks and chili to the hungry hunters, the men shared their story of "Divide? and Conquer".

After they had finished eating, the guys (and the photographer) headed outside to skin and "butcher" the poor animal laying dead in the back of Michael's truck. Aaron asked me to move my van so they could get the truck in to unload the deer. I got in the van and backed right into a tree!! (That's a whole 'nother post!)

As the bros were hanging and skinning the deer, Seth says, "Michael, I don't know if I even shot this deer at all! I can't find any wounds that I would've made." To which Michael replies, "Oh, I know you shot it. There's no way it would've just lay down in front of me without you shooting it first." *I drop my arms and roll my eyes.*

OH BROTHER!!

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Ha! That was a funny night!

Way to go gettin' your pictures up! You are a blogging rock star, my friend

Anonymous said...

Hey, tell your brother he bagged himself a nice deer this year. I have never been deer hunting befor and hope you can take me sometime. Hope all is well with you and the kids. We love you guys.
kameron

Kameron & Teresa said...

Mmmmmmm.....I love deer sausage!!! It seems like forever since I have had some. Seth will definately have to take Kameron hunting with him when we are in Minnesota during the season again!