Sunday, November 05, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Babes



My husband and I were talking this morning about things I want for my birthday. I've listed quite a few things lately, just trying to give him ideas. But my most recent request was for a digital camera. "What's wrong with the camera we have?" he wondered. "Nothing." I replied, "but it would make it a LOT easier to scrapbook and post pictures on my blog if I had one of my own." "Well maybe you shouldn't scrapbook or blog then." He joked. Pleading my case, I pointed out that I am merely trying to preserve the memories we have of our family while we still can. I don't want to wake up in 10 years and wonder why my kids never did the cute things other little kids do...maybe not realizing that they DID, I just didn't remember because I never recorded them. He agreed. So, just to let you know, I'll be posting cute little kiddie sayings on my blog from time to time, as a way to sort of Journal them. And they may come with a little "life lesson" or they may not...

Madison, my almost 4 year old, likes to think she's pretty grown up. In other words, she can get a little bossy and lippy from time to time. (We're working on it.) Today I was helping her climb out of the van and she "tooted". Usually I just ask her to be polite and say "excuse me", but today I thought I'd try to discourage her from doing that in public: "Madison, we don't toot loudly when we're around other people, unless we're in a bathroom." "Well," she replied, "Jesus makes me toot." She said this in a sort of "so there" tone of voice. I had to look away to supress my giggle. *I shake my head* She also says some of the cutest things: I love it when she tells me, "Mommy, you're my favorite mommy."

Malachi's my mild-tempered little man. But the things he says sometimes just blow my mind!

His most recent little anecdote is something we can only guess he picked up from one of his favorite movies? He lately likes to tell us: "I have a plan...." And that's it, when we prompt him for the details of his plan, all he says is, "I have a plan." Then a few nights ago my husband and I were bathing the children and he looked up at us, shook his head and said, "I don't have a plan anymore, sorry."

I often wonder what kind of legacy we're passing on to our children: Do they pick up on the important positive things? Or is it just the "ugly" mommy and daddy that will stick with them? One thing Malachi asked me today made me feel like we're impressing the right things onto our children: "Mommy, can we pray for my owie ear?" Oh! My melting heart!

Thank you, Madison and Malachi, for making me feel like a good mommy!

I love you Both,

Mommy

8 comments:

Jeannie said...

GORGEOUS! Especially these black and white photos - were these the professional ones you told me about?

Great post, girl! It was great catching up with you today and I've really enjoyed getting to know you better!

Rachel said...

Yes, the two black and white ones were taken by my friend, Meagan Kelly (Impressions by Meagan Photography) Isn't she great!?

Anonymous said...

The 'subjects' in the photos were the real TALENT! Meagan is a great professional!!!! Just love working with her...obviously she has a way with children too!
Inspired by you.
ILYM

Anonymous said...

aw how cute! I love the things they say..."I have a plan..." what is that from?!?! It's adorable! and "Jesus made me toot" it's true Rachel, God designed us to be able to express our bodily functions in interesting ways...so glad for it too otherwise we'd all be constipated all the time!
love you!

Anonymous said...

the best is when finding nemo is on..........ha

Rachel said...

What "anonymous" AKA Kameron is referring to is Malachi's reaction to when Nemo is taken by divers on "Finding Nemo". Malachi's seen the movie a MILLION times, but still, every time that portion of the movie plays, he jumps up and screams, "NO! NEMO! NO!"

It's HILARIOUS!

Kameron & Teresa said...

Madison & Malachi~
fiiooo7-o
uiooyuuiiiiiiiiioo
3mmm2mmmdsrrrkkommtttrrs
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjmnbbb
Love~Maddie

Anonymous said...

hey Rache ur blog on this part is so cool I love the cute things you and ur young ones do. c ya later freak