Thursday, March 06, 2008

"Ferberization"

As I type this, I am listening to my poor little baby wail himself to sleep on the monitor in my living room. How long does it take until they're okay with going to sleep on their own? We've been using the Ferber Method since he was born! And when will he start sleeping for longer than 2-3 hour intervals in the middle of the night?

For the most part, Mathias has a pretty constant napping schedule. I lay him down between 9 and 9:30 for his first nap, and between 12 and 1 for his second. Then, he usually gets tired again around 4 or 5 so he'll take his final nap then. We lay him down for the night around 7:30-8 and then he's up again 4-5 times per night. Right now we're slowly introducing solids before bedtime in hopes that it will calm any hunger pains he may feel in the night, but I think it's too early to tell if that's working or not.

I'll admit that in the night, I don't let him cry very long before I go in and get him. Seth's pointed that out to me more than once :D. And as for his daytime naps, they tend to be pretty short-1/2 hour to 45 minutes most of the time.

HELP! Does anyone have any sleep advice for me?

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Well, I do tend to be a "cry it out" type of Mama, especially around 5/6 months. You know they've eaten, you know they are dry, so they should be good to go. I wait 5 min. or so, go in and rub their back, or something, but never lift them. Maybe he's teething?? I dunno. Then I wait 10 min. or so before going in again...Just trust your gut on this one...I don't think there's any wrong way, except maybe locking him in a shed or something!

Kameron & Teresa said...

I agree with Jeannie. Go in after 5 min. and then 10 min, etc. but don't ever pick them up or take them out of their room. Maddie never did go to sleep by herself as a babe and Naomi we did the ferber method at 3 mo, 5 mo, 7 mo, 9 mo and finally at 11 mo she was sleeping on her own! Sometimes she would cry for 45 min. It all takes time and every child is their own. Patience my dear, keep trying! I always figured they have to tire them selves out at some point. It's healthy for them to cry...strenthens their lungs! :) Miss you!!!

Rachel said...

Okay, so I know it's either your prayers or the solid foods (and I'm really leaning toward the prayers here.) Mat slept 6 HOURS STRAIGHT last night! And he really has been laying down nicely for us. I've found that I need to chit-chat with him a little on our way up to his crib, and then I lay him down, shut his shades and walk out of the room and he doesn't make a peep!

Keep Praying!

Thanks guys, Love you!

Anonymous said...

take the baby outside and rock it to sleep.

...if that don't work use a bigger rock.