Monday, February 16, 2009

Successful Surgery!

As Madison lays sleeping beside me, I can't help but thank God that everything went well during her surgery this morning.

Seth was not able to go with us to the surgery as he started a new phase of his job today. He didn't request the day off 2 weeks ago, as is proper protocol where he works. His supervisor just kept reassuring him that he could have as much time as he needed when the time came. Little did any one of us know, Seth was transferred from the shop to the field...today. Seth was unable to get ahold of anyone over the weekend to permit him to actually take the day off, so he figured he'd better show up to work...even if it meant he had to be at the jobsite over an hour away at 7am this morning.

So Madison and I, along with my mom and sister Brittany, arrived at the Surgery Center between 7:30 and 7:45. After filling out a few forms, we were brought to the back to be admitted. Madison cried from the minute she woke up this morning, to when the nurse and anesthesiologist had to pry her off of me to take her into surgery. I tried my best to encourage her, and my mom and Brittany helped me distract her.

Mom and Brit stayed with me for a while after they took Madison back. They even went out and bought me breakfast! But my mom had to teach a class at the Y this morning, so they left after a bit.

Dr. J. said that the surgery would take about an hour, so when we started gaining on an hour and a half, I started to worry. I had brought a book with me, but I couldn't concentrate on it. All I could think about were the irrational things that could be going on in the back...for your sake, I won't go there right now.

Finally, Dr. J. called me back to discuss the surgery with me. He said that everything went perfectly! He told me that he wished I could see her ears, that they looked great! He explained that she would have to wear her "head gear" until next Monday, when we'll go in to have Dr. J. take it off. After discussing her meds, he shook my hand and told me, "Congratulations" (I found that amusing).

Then the nurse took me back to sit with Madison as she slept off her anesthesia. She woke up a couple of times asking to go home, but fell immediately back to sleep. Finally, at about 12:15, we were discharged with a script for Tylenol with Codeine.

Madison occasionally stirs from her sleep to tell me that her throat hurts (they had to intibate her during the surgery since Dr. J. had to maneuver her head around some.) She's hungry, since she hasn't had anything to eat since 9:30 last night; but since she still has some nausea and vomiting, I'm starting her on the clear liquids/semi-solids rather slowly. She has had some water and about a half a cup of applesauce, and that seems to be sitting well with her for now. I've given her tylenol, and if that holds her until 3:40, I'll just give her motrin, and leave the Tylenol with Codeine alone. If regular Tylenol and Motrin work, I'm happy with that.

Thank you all for all of your love and prayers for Madison! I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on her situation.

3 comments:

Amy said...

She handled it better than I would have! What a brave little niece I have! I'm so glad to hear that everything went well; I can't wait to come visit you guys and see her beautiful new room!

Kameron & Teresa said...

We are so proud of her! What a big girl she is!!! So happy to hear that the surgery went well & to get a newly decorated room! Love the colors!!!

Hugs & Kisses Madison~Teresa & fam

Jeannie said...

Yay Madison!