Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spinach and Avocado Egg Salad Sandwiches

We had an awesome weekend at the Water park of America. Five of Seth's six siblings were able to join us for a fun weekend of waterslides, games, food and a late, late night.

After checkout on Saturday, we spent an hour or two at the Mall of America. That translates to lunch, and two stores. And if you know us at all, you won't be at all surprised when we tell you that the two stores we chose to visit, were Rybicki Cheese (a Packer store), and Games by James.

We're huge Settlers of Catan players, and my brother and sister-in-law recently introduced us to The Struggle for Catan, a Catan inspired card game. I smell another game night in the not-too-distant future.

Since starting my juice fast, I've been collecting some healthier recipes I thought my kids might eat. All I can say is, thank the Lord for Pinterest, where healthy recipes abound! We tried one of said recipes for supper tonight:

Spinach and Avocado Egg Salad Sandwiches, courtesy of wearenotmartha.com

The link will take you right to the recipe, but if you're like me, clicking on a link could potentially cause you to get sidetracked and never come back. So as a favor, I'll post the recipe for you. You're oh so very welcome. :)

7 hard boiled eggs
2 avocados, peeled and seeded
4 oz plain greek yogurt
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 c. baby spinach, chopped
whole grain bread
salt and pepper to taste

Smoosh the avocados and add salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach and celery to avocado. Smoosh the eggs into the yogurt. Add the two smooshed mixtures together. Smother your bread with the delicious combined mixture. Enjoy.

If you decided to click the link that brought you to wearenotmartha.com, you'll notice that she added some of those peppery things some people put on their pizza. I didn't like that idea, so I added a few diced tomatoes to my sandwich instead.

You might also notice that my bread is far from whole grain. This is because I opened my whole grain bread and discovered that it was moldy. I guess that's what happens when one avoids breads and drinks only juice for twenty days. Consider yourselves warned.

I have to say, I thought this recipe was really good! And I love the idea of subbing fatty mayo with healthy greek yogurt. This is definitely one I will make again.

No comments: