Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Cavities and Vacuum Cleaners

Before I begin, I feel the need to apologize for the incredibly long blogging hiatus I have put you through. I know I don't need to apologize- for one thing, as my good friend Jeannie would say, "It's your blog", and I can do with it as I please. Or don't please. Secondly, I realize that you're not sitting there, day after day, just waiting for an update on my boring life. But I'm a type A, and I want to apologize, okay?

Well, now that that's out of the way, let me give you a little glimse of what's been happening in my life as of late:

I've been working nearly full time since the end of December, nothing's changed there. Other than the fact that I thought when I signed up for this gig that I would be working for a month, month and a half, tops.

I can't complain, not everyone's company keeps an open door policy for one of their employees, especially not companies as great as this one.

But if you were to stop by unexpectedly, and be invited in (which you would be), you'd see that two full-time working parents with three children are no match for our housework. I honestly don't know what I'd do without my amazing husband. I know my family and I would be walking around undergarment-less.

You won't believe me when I tell you this, because you all know what a domestic goddess I am, but my husband does more laundry than I do.

*gasp!*

I know, but it's true. And no, he's not for sale.

In other news, I also am fully aware that I have failed to, as yet, post pictures of Madison post-surgery. My only excuse is that my camera's memory card is full, and it's WAY too hard to remember to pick one up during one of my numerous trips to Wal Mart for random necessities like diapers and deodorant. But now that I've admitted that to you all, you can be sure it's up there on my list of priorities. After all, I aim to please.

Madison is doing wonderfully, though, so thank you for all of your prayers for her before, during and after her surgery! God is so good! And she is so thrilled with the results as well. She's constantly asking me to pull her hair back to show off her ears.

Malachi went to the dentist today, for only the second time in his life! (I know, he's almost 5.) The first was because a fall from a kitchen chair when he was 3 turned one of his front teeth gray, and because I was FREAKING OUT, the receptionist at the dental clinic permitted me to bring him in although she assured me that he was "probably fine." I just knew she was wrong. After all, she's not a dentist. So I brought him in.

Guess what? He was fine.

Well, apparently you're supposed to get your kids in to see the dentist more than every 2 years, (I know, who knew?) and since his mother is totally oblivious to this, and the fact that he's inherited his father's soft teeth, the boy's mouth is chalk full of cavities.

What? I'm supposed to floss his teeth for him? And provide food and shelter and other things he can't do for himself? I must've been out to lunch for this chapter of "What to Expect".

In my own defense, my kids aren't allowed to eat much candy, and they're only offered milk or juice twice a day because of the sugar content. (Don't worry, they get their dairy in other forms, and where I come from, water is plentiful, so they're not dehydrated.) So it's not that his teeth have been sugar-rotted away, he really does just have soft teeth.

I am very proud of him, though. Seth was the one to take him to Dr. F. today, and he gave a glowing report of Mal's behavior and attitude about the whole situation. When I met the two of them for lunch, Malachi couldn't stop talking about his new Sponge Bob toothbrush and toothpaste, so apparently the prospect of a mouth full of fillings didn't put too much of a damper on his day.

Right before lunch, Seth and Malachi met me at a vacuum cleaner store in town. As some of you know, we've been "working" vacuum-less for quite some time now, and have been borrowing my mom and dad's about every other day (or so it seems) just to keep some level of sanity (and sanitation) about our living quarters. I often wonder what the people who drive by our house are thinking when they see me, or any other member of my family carrying a big ol' vacuum across the street on any given day.

You know, I've heard many women complain about their husbands getting them random appliances, dishwashers and vacuum cleaners, lawnmowers and leaf blowers, for various holidays such as Valentine's Day or Mother's Day, but I would have shed tears of joy to see a brand new upright in my living room any day of the year! Just slap a gigantic bow on that sucker, (no pun intended...okay, intended.) and make my day!

So today, my wish came true. My fabulous better half bought me a brand new Riccar! Nevermind that we had to take out a second mortgage on our house to buy the thing, at least said house will be dust and dander free!

2 comments:

Kameron & Teresa said...

BUMMER about the cavities...what a strong little man!

SWEET new vacuum!!! (so the one we passed on to you a couple of years ago died?)

Angie said...

HAHA, while eating lunch yesterday Malachi commented after a few bites.. I can feel my teeth getting soft. I couldn't quiet figure out just what he was talking about, and wrote it off as being silly. NOW, I understand :)